We believe in the holistic development of young students in Ward 8. The holistic development includes a student’s intellectual abilities and emotional, social, mental, and physical development. By focusing on the student’s holistic development, our students have the foundation they need to become the future leaders of tomorrow!
Sunshine Early Learning Center focuses not only on a child’s intellect but also on their emotional and gross/motor skills. We understand that if a student’s mental, emotional, and physical needs are met, they will blossom into a driving force, chasing their goals and dreams to the highest level!
To empower students, families, and professionals in underserved areas of the city, to develop the skills and abilities to achieve success in school and life by offering research-based, high-quality, and innovative educational programs that address their needs.
Sunshine Early Learning Center will become a leading organization, recognized for the quality of its programs and services responsive to the needs of the children and families in Washington, DC, with a particular interest in students and families in Ward 8.
The 7 Guiding Principles
1. Our evidence-based curriculum’s social and emotional activities are as important as the academic activities included in the curriculum.
2. How children learn is as important as what they know.
3. Learning occurs through social interactions.
4. To be successful academically and socially, children need a set of social skills, including but not limited to: cooperation, assertion, responsibility, empathy, and self-control.
5. Knowing the students we teach is as important as knowing our content.
6. Knowing the families of the children we teach and working with them as partners is essential to the student’s education
7. How the adults at school work together are as important as their competence.
Pre- K Program Curriculum
Teaching Strategies Gold
Through hands-on, project-based investigations, the Creative Curriculum Gold Assessment system children’s confidence, creativity, and critical thinking skills.